The purpose of this article is to guide IT teams on the right track when it comes to troubleshooting Templafy related issues. It’s purely for generic purpose, but it covers hands-on troubleshooting steps for different technical areas and the thought process that ties into that.
Tenant name: x.templafy.com
Versions, when relevant:
- what is the add-in version? - view Templafy Office add-ins version here
- OS version and build number
- Office version and build number
Problem description: describe the behaviour and what impact it has on the goal you are trying to achieve.
Consistency: can this be triggered on demand, is it consistent non-working behaviour, if not, in what instances does it seem to appear? If sporadic, any indication of what could make the issue occur.
- How many can reproduce?
- If reproducible for multiple people, but not all, what is the common denominator for those people?
- What has been tried to isolate the issue?
- Can you reproduce in outside client’s environment?
- Is it reproducible on another/multiple machines?
- If there’s clear reproduction steps to trigger the error, what steps were taken and can you share video or images to showcase the issue
- How many is affected and what is the email addresses for those affected users?
- Is it for all documents or one? If one, please specify.
- Is it affecting live environment or testing environment?
- Is all users affected, or only one person/specified group testing a document?
- If more than one user is affected, what operating system, office version, add-in version etc. is the users running on?
- For those affected, what's the user's email address?
SSO issues (seamless single sign-on)
- How many users are affected?
- Does the error message contain operation ID
- Where does this error occur? WebApp or the Add-ins?
- Can the affected user/s login in the browser (WebApp)? Which one(s).
- Check if there are no issues with Microsoft account (yellow warning sign next to username in the office products)
- If issues regarding setting up SSO using SAML2: Provide client metadata to Templafy (usually done via a download link to metadata.xml file)
Performance issues "Templafy is slow"
When reporting performance issues, be mindful there’s different ways of analysing performance related issues and sending log files is always a very good start along with sending answers to as many of the below questions:
- Is Templafy slow on start up or when you are working in the application?
- In Word/Powerpoint; opening/loading in the Templafy Task Pane
- Is it slow when creating/opening documents
- Is it slow when inserting elements into documents/presentations
- Is it slow when loading content in the library/company data etc. from an admin perspective
- Is it slow when navigating in the admin interface
- Is loading the WebApp slow?
- How is the slowness perceived? and by whom? The user, the admin?
- When was the performance issues experienced? (time slot) does it happen repeatedly?
- Does it happen for users in various locations with different connectivity settings?
- What causes the slowdown/freeze to happen; any specific action that leads to it being slow?
- Does the program freeze/shut down; if so, are there any error messages/warnings before?
- Anything in the event viewer logs for Windows
- Check status.templafy.com for general issues
Templafy Desktop/Add-ins deployment issues
- Error message – fully expanded or transcript
- Look for and send over VSTO and Templafy desktop log files
- Environment specifics (OS build, etc..)
- How it has been deployed (centrally through SCCM or manually executing the msi file)
- Regular MSI package or Server mode enabled?
Troubleshooting install/uninstall issues
If any issues arise during the installation of TemplafyDesktop.msi, please add the below switch to add logging which will help to troubleshoot the installation:
- Troubleshooting issues regarding uninstalling Templafy Desktop is also listed in the article: Uninstalling Templafy Desktop with more suggested steps to take.