When are scheduled backups running?
- Templafy initiate backups daily and they are scheduled to run around midnight UTC
- We also run monthly backups on all tenants on the 1st of the every month
What is a scheduled backup?
A scheduled backup is automatically initiated by Templafy for all tenants daily. When running the backup, Templafy checks for any changes being made to any data on a Templafy tenant, and if there is, we take a backup.
The time it takes for a backup to complete is naturally dependent on the size of the tenants data and how much needs to be backed up. Normally around 30-60mins should be enough for most tenants to take a back up, given that no exceptions or issues occur during backup. Should any issue or exceptions arise during back up, the process of backing up will be initiated up to 10 times and finally fall into a queue, that is monitored by Templafy to catch anything that isn't processed successfully.
What is backed up:
- All files (documents, presentations, images, logos) uploaded to Templafy (complete BLOB storage)
- Client configuration stored in JSON
- Data sources
For more information regarding the manual process of how to use the backup/restore functionality in the administration center, please go to article: How to use backups/restore functionality
What happens when a backup is running?
When a backup is running, admins are unable to upload new content to libraries in the administration center or make any changes to existing content, e.g replace a template.
All admin actions are locked, when a backup is running, because we want to ensure that the state of the tenant configuration is maintained during the backup procedure.
Due to this interruption, we schedule backups to run at midnight UTC, so admins' workflows are not affected.
The error message displayed, when backups are running, and admins attempt to upload or change content:
List of latest backups
Every night we run a clean up job on backups and our rules for keeping backups (shown in the back up list in the admin interface) are:
- Keep the latest 2 backup no matter how old they are
- Keep all backups from the past 10 days, if there are any backups
- Keep the first backup of each month from the past 6 months