About this article
This article will explain how to set up User Group filters using criteria and conditions, either upon creating a new User Group or editing an existing one. Sections in this article:
- What is a User Group filter?
- How to set up a User Group filter?
- What are the different filter types?
What is a User Group filter?
A User Group filter is set up using criteria and conditions. These criteria are based on the claims and the security groups received by your Active Directory.
When you set up a User Group then the users will be filtered based on the conditions that are configured in the User Groups.
How to set up a User Group filter?
- Go to the Admin Center
- Navigate to the
- Select the
- Either create a new user group or click on an existing one to edit the filter
- Select a filter option from the dropdown
- Once the filter criteria is added, add one or more conditions
What are the different filter types?
- External groups: AD group claim value
- User type: provides a dropdown with the pre-defined user types
- Email: this is a text field where you input an individual email address (one email address per condition)
- Domain: this is a text field where you input the email domain, e.g.
- First name: AD claim value
- Last name: AD claim value
- Display name: AD claim value
- Address: AD claim value
- City: AD claim value
- Postal code: AD claim value
- Country: AD claim value
- State: AD claim value
- Company name: AD claim value
- Job title: AD claim value
- Department: AD claim value
- Telephone number: AD claim value
- Mobile number: AD claim value
- Facsimile number: AD claim value
- Preferred language: AD claim value
How to use User Group in a filter?
The way to use User Groups in a filter, is by setting up a security filter with restricted access to a folder. To do so, you need to navigate to your library, set up a folder, and add the security filter from the Settings tab.
All steps are described in our article regarding How to filter folders in Libraries?, since this is an action that takes place in the Library section in the Admin Center.