About this article
In this article, we will explain the steps required to configure the Service Account in Google necessary for Email Signatures for Google Workspace.
Setting up the service account in Google Workspace will require these main steps:
- Create a new project
- Add the Gmail API
- Create the credentials
- Create the service key
- Enable the required scopes
Create a new project
Log in to https://console.cloud.google.com/ with an Admin account
- Click the Organization selection menu on the blue header bar
- Select the desired organization in the "Select from..." dropdown
NEW PROJECTin the upper right corner of the modal window
- Name the Project and change the Organization and Location, if desired
You will be redirected back to the Dashboard screen and the Notifications dropdown will provide status.
Add the Gmail API
- Select the newly created Project from the dropdown in the blue banner bar
In the left-hand menu pane select the APIs & Services > Enabled APIs & services
+ ENABLE APIS AND SERVICESin the APIs & Services menu bar
Scroll down and click the Gmail API tile in the Google Workspace section
You will be redirected to the API/Service Details window.
Create the credentials
CREATE CREDENTIALSin the upper right of the window of the gray information banner
- Configure the credential type
- Select Gmail API from the "Select an API" dropdown, if not already selected
Application datafor "What data will be accessing?"
No, I'm not using themfor "Are you planning to use this API with Compute Engine ...?"
- Provide a name for the Service Account
CREATE AND CONTINUE
CONTINUE(do not add roles)
DONE(do not enter information in the user access)
You will be redirected back to the API/Service Details window.
Create the service key
- In the Credentials menu, click the Service Account link (or edit button)
- Click the
KEYStab on the top menu bar
Create New Key
JSONas the Format
The Service Account key is now downloaded
Enable the required scopes
- Click the DETAILS tab on the menu bar
- Click the the Advanced Settings dropdown near the bottom
Under the Domain-wide Delegation section, copy the Client ID to the clipboard
VIEW GOOGLE WORKSPACE ADMIN CONSOLE
- In the console menu, navigate to Security (if not visible, click Show more) > Access and data control > API controls
Scroll down to find Domain wide delegation
MANAGE DOMAIN WIDE DELEGATION
Add newin the API clients menu bar
- Paste the Client ID previously copied to the clipboard
- Add the following scopes one at a time (once the first one is pasted, a new line will appear)
The Service Account is finalized and ready to be used.