About this article
This article will explain what dynamics and smart templates are in Templafy. We will provide a high-level explanation of what smart templates consist of and where they can be used.
- What are dynamics and smart templates?
- Where can smart templates be used?
- Where can smart templates be built?
What are dynamics and smart templates?
Dynamics is the underlying functionality Templafy uses to create smart templates. Smart templates allow for automation within documents to reduce maintenance for the admin and reduce the number of templates available to the end-user. By utilizing Dynamics, specific data, content, or user input can be injected into the smart templates in order to generate on-brand, legally compliant, and personalized documents. A smart template usually contains a basic design, formatting, a response form, a series of smart fields, and template settings and properties that will dynamically be populated.
As an example, a company has 3 different offices, each having its own logo and address, which results in three different letter templates. By utilizing Dynamics, one can reduce the three letter templates to one single smart template catering to the three different offices simultaneously.
Templafy differentiate Dynamics based on specific use cases:
- Dynamics Templates: inject user, brand, and compliance information into the skeleton template
- Dynamics Compile: inject content and slides to create complex documents and presentations
- Dynamics Metadata: inject default and custom metadata information into templates
Where can smart templates be used?
Smart templates can be used in:
- Microsoft Word and Google Docs, by using the Documents and the Text elements Libraries
- Microsoft PowerPoint and Google Slides, by using the Presentations (PowerPoint and Google Slides) and the Slides (PowerPoint only) Libraries
- Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets, by using the Spreadsheets Library
- Microsoft Outlook, by using the Email elements Library
- Salesforce, SharePoint, or other systems using App Connectors
Where can smart templates be built?
Smart templates can be built in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel for Windows through the Template Designer. In order to be able to create smart templates with the Templafy Designer, the user must have:
- Templafy Desktop and Office VSTO add-in installed on the PC
- Tenant admin/owner access or Space owner access
Once the above criteria are met, the user will be able to access the Template Designer in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel:
- In Word, the user will be able to create smart templates for Documents and Text elements Libraries for Word and Google Docs, as well as for the Email elements Library for Outlook.
- In PowerPoint, the user will be able to create smart templates for the Presentations Library for PowerPoint and Google Slides, as well as for the Slides and Slide elements Libraries for PowerPoint.
- In Excel, the user will be able to create smart templates for the Spreadsheets Library for Excel and Google Sheets
Once the smart templates are built within Office for Windows, they can be uploaded to Templafy Library and distributed to end-users.