This article will explain the process of uninstalling Templafy, how to troubleshoot if something goes wrong during uninstalling as well as guide you through the manual steps of uninstalling Templafy Desktop.
- What to know about the uninstaller
- How is Templafy Desktop installed
- Uninstalling Templafy Desktop
- Uninstalling Templafy Desktop in Current User context (HKCU)
- Uninstalling Templafy Desktop in Local Machine context (HKLM)
What to know about the uninstaller
- With Templafy Desktop Client version 18.104.22.1684 TemplafyDesktopUninstaller runs silently meaning it will run as a Windows Application
- Uninstalling Templafy Desktop in
Current Usercontext is also possible in offline mode
- Uninstalling Templafy Desktop in
Local Machinecontext in offline mode requires Templafy Desktop Host and Client version 2.1 and higher. You can read more about latest Templafy Desktop releases here
Please note, that uninstalling Templafy Desktop does not uninstall the email signature
How is Templafy Desktop installed
Templafy Desktop is the client that Templafy uses to deploy add-ins for Microsoft Office. It is delivered as an MSI installation file.
When Templafy Desktop is installed for all users on a computer (Local Machine installation or
ALLUSERS="1") by an administrator it will run when ever a user logs in. Templafy Desktop, in this mode, downloads and installs packages, registry keys, offline content etc., in the users' own profile directory on the computer (the Local App Data or
Uninstalling Templafy Desktop
Templafy Desktop version 1.9 x and later versions is bundled with a dedicated uninstaller named
TemplafyDesktopUninstaller.exe, which is able to clean up the data for each user. This uninstaller is a standalone executable file without any external dependencies.
If an administrator decides to uninstall Templafy Desktop, for whatever reason, the data downloaded for each of the other users' will not be removed as part of the uninstall. This is because the administrator cannot remove data from another users' profile, which is potentially taking up a significant amount of disk space. When an administrator un-installs Templafy Desktop, this uninstaller will be copied into each users' profile directory, provided they have logged in at some point and actually run Templafy Desktop. The uninstaller will run once and only once for each user, when they log in after Templafy Desktop has been uninstalled.
Since Templafy Desktop is no longer installed, the uninstaller will remove all the data previously downloaded, after which it will remove itself.
In the event where Templafy Desktop is uninstalled and afterwards reinstalled, the uninstaller will still be registered, however in this case it will detect Templafy Desktop is installed (by looking in the registry for the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Templafy key), and simply just remove itself.
Uninstalling Templafy Desktop in Current User context
You can uninstall Templafy Desktop in the same way that you uninstall any other programs in your Windows environment.
1. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features
2. Locate Templafy Desktop and hit right click
3. Confirm action by clicking Yes in the dialogue box shown next
4. Uninstall process will start
Uninstalling Templafy Desktop in Local Machine context
Templafy Desktop can be installed and uninstalled for all users on a computer (Local Machine un/installation or
ALLUSERS="1") by an administrator. In order to perform an all user uninstall, the client available on the machine must be at least version 22.214.171.1249.
1. Log in to your local admin account
2. In the start menu type
command and you’ll see
Command Prompt listed as the best match
3. Right-click that result and choose
Run as administrator.
4. Run the following uninstall command:
MSIEXEC /x TemplafyDesktop.[tenant].msi ALLUSERS="1" OR
MSIEXEC /x TemplafyDesktop.[tenant].msi ALLUSERS="1" /quiet
5. The uninstaller is now copied over to UserProfile directories that have already run Templafy Desktop on their accounts.
6. Once the user logs in, the uninstaller will run in the background and delete all the respective files.
Troubleshooting uninstalling Templafy Desktop
Should any issues arise during the uninstallation of TemplafyDesktop.[tenant].msi, kindly answer the following questions, follow the below advice and forward all the collected information to email@example.com
- How was the uninstall performed?
- HKCU or HKLM context?
- Was the uninstall carried out manually or via SCCM?
- What was the command line used for uninstalling?
- When uninstalling with parameter
ALLUSERS="1", was the command prompt run as an administrator?
- Please add the below switch to add logging which will help to troubleshoot the problem:
- Check for log files created by the TemplafyDesktopUninstaller.exe itself. These files are located in:
- Enable verbose logging by creating the linked registry key or by running the attached .reg file. Send over the log files located in